Listen to Season One, Episode #8
Author, podcaster, philosopher, and former CEO of a multi-million dollar company, Laura Coe, talks about how to be yourself, and it's almost as complicated as heart surgery. In addition to grilling Kevin like a salmon on the episode, Laura, Mohnish, and Kevin cover:
- What's it like to lose all your friends?
- "Be Yourself" is pretty empty advice. But how do you do it?
- Why is there a 10 year old on the podcast?
- Should we listen to the rider (our rational sense) or the elephant (our intuitive, "gut" sense)?
- Should Kevin keep his radio job?
Who is Laura Coe?
- She's read, researched, and gone incredibly deep into philosophy. I've been to her house and it's filled with so many books it's absolutely ridiculous. From Buddha to Marcus Aurelius - Eastern to Western thought - she's one of those people you just talk to her, and she can change your whole worldview. Her work condenses thousands of years worth of philosophy down into modern, actionable material.
Research, Fun Stuff, and More
- Here's an excellent article on Authenticity. Have you ever met someone and was like "Wow, not only do I want to marry this person and have 10 babies with them, but they're authentic!". There's a few social dynamics at play when you feel this. If you're wondering what makes someone seem authentic, this article is a solid primer.
- We take a clear, multi-disciplinary approach to things: if we can find good stuff in philosophy, sociology, or animal genetics, we'll use it. If you're interested in philosophy, I recommend starting out with a book that even Thomas Jefferson kept at his bedside - The Meditations, by Marcus Aurelius. Make sure to get the Gregory Hays translation (the others I'm not wild about).
- If you're interested in meditation, check out Headspace. I use it everyday, plus, it's a beautiful primer to Eastern thought. The amount of empirical research that supports meditation (literally increases the gray matter in your head) is absurd.
Special Thanks and Credits
Guests: Laura Coe, Nate Coe
Main Host and Editing: Mohnish Soundararajan
Co-Host: Kevin Sanji
Content Ideation and Feedback: Mohnish Soundararajan, Kevin Sanji, and Justine Brumm
Music: CJ Beats