Listen to Season Two, Episode #21 Now
Here's Tim. He's like the guy from Taken - he's got a very specific set of skills that make him a nightmare for airlines. If you're 20, you've got pennies to fly on. But, if you game the system, saving thousands on airline tickets is easier than you think. On this episode, special guest Tim van der Lee and Mohnish cover:
- How to save thousands on flights, for novices
- An easy, actionable framework Tim uses to travel for pennies on the dollar
- How does Mohnish know Tim and why is it ridiculous?
- The economics behind price discrimination and why the same person traveling next to you paid a thousand dollars more for the same seat
- Advanced ways to save on flights that can get you sued by the entire legal representation of United Airlines
- Why is finance so boring?
For more material on this episode, check out realtalkstudio.com
- Thanks to the wonderful, wonderful book Naked Economics by Charles Wheelan for explaining the economics of price discrimination and the breakdown of airlines.
- The strategy (mentioned at the end of the episode). The framework will not really make sense unless you listen to the episode - it's explained pretty efficiently there. Once you get it, use this for reference:
#2: Book that shit in advance but compare within the timeframe (3 months to 3 weeks)
#3: Price in Baggage Fees and Cancellation Fees
#4: Sign up for Points, and if you can, get points through a credit card, shopping through portals, and opportunities at milenerd.com
#5: Stay the weekend. Don't be the CEO.
#6: Don't get sued by United
Production Team and Credits
Special Guest: Tim van der Lee
Host, Producer, Sound Design, Editor, Research: Mohnish Soundararajan
Content Feedback: Justine Brumm
Music: Electric Mantis