Listen to Season Two, Episode #15
From playing Mario Kart to hearing that Jimmy from down the street went missing for 72 hours because he was in his basement playing World of Warcraft, video games are nuts. But are they good? Are they bad? And what's the science say? On this episode, Mohnish, Kevin, and special guest Devyn Tammons cover:
- What are the benefits of video games?
- Are all video game players socially isolated, lonely, and want to punch themselves in the face due to sadness? (short answer: no)
- According to the research, do video games cause aggression?
- How can playing video games screw with your emotional life?
For more bonus material on this episode, go to www.realtalkstudio.com
Sign up and get a free digital copy of "Season One Episode Breakdowns" + email updates from your favorite minorities here. It's awesome.
About Devyn Tammons
- Devyn is awesome. You can find him on Facebook, Twitter, and - like we said on the podcast - he's reviewed basically every movie of 2016, which you can find here. He's coming out with a new movie podcast soon - so keep your eyes peeled.
Research, Fun Stuff, and More
- Here's the APA research breakdown of the "Benefits of Video Games" - if you're into this kind of thing (so reading scientific reports) it's a good read. If you're not really into reading research papers, maybe skip this. It really breaks down the cognitive, social, emotional, and motivational benefits of video games and one of the great questions it asks is, why aren't video games used for self-improvement (i.e. mental health, etc.).
- Some incredible video games to check out if you're curious at how expansive and complex the medium really is: Uncharted series and Red Dead Redemption.
- There's an entire underworld of video game subculture that's getting bigger and bigger. From Twitch to the MLG (major league gaming) to even instances of bizzare and super illegal pranks (for instance, prank calling the SWAT team on gamers who are live streaming themselves just to screw with them), it's a big subculture.
Production Team - Credits and Special Thanks
Special Guest: Devyn Tammons
Host, Producer, Audio Mixing, Editing, and Research: Mohnish Soundararajan
Co-Hosts: Kevin Sanji
Content Ideation and Feedback: Mohnish Soundararajan, Vysali Soundararajan, Justine Brumm, and Kevin Sanji
Music: Electric Mantis